Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tokyo or Hong Kong?

I%26#39;m a single, 31 year old American male. I want to experience the nightlife these cities have to offer (not the strip club type...more along the lines of trendy bars and fun dance clubs)





Sadly, I only have the time and finances to visit one of these cities. For those that can compare, which one should I focus on more?







Thanks in advance.





Tokyo or Hong Kong?


frommers.com/destinations/鈥?085010030.html



frommers.com/destinations/鈥?078021118.html



Tokyo or Hong Kong?


This is never a fair question to answer because you will get varying opinions. You are likely to get pro-Tokyo answers at the Tokyo forum and get pro-Hong Kong answers in the Hong Kong forum. The only fair comment I could give is Hong Kong is more foreigner friendly due to most people speaking a decent level of English. Regarding the bar and club scene, if you have the right connections and know where to go, I am sure both cities have lots to offer.




Hong Kong all the way.







1. I have not seen any city sky line compare to Hong kong and you will get a firework show every night.







2. It%26#39;s Cheaper than Tokyo, by a lot.







3. The city is easier to get around and communication is much better because just about everyone spoke english.











Hong Kong has been one of best city vacation I have been on.




Well, I was 19 when I was in Tokyo last time, and 20 when I was in Hong Kong, so I%26#39;m big on the club and bar scene. I was with my friend in Tokyo but alone when I was in Hong Kong. From personal experience I would have to go with Hong Kong on this one. Here%26#39;s how I%26#39;d sum up each city





Tokyo. More of a formal experience I feel. You can go to various Izakayas and drink as the locals do but I feel a certain level of Japanese proficiency is required here, a lot of places didn%26#39;t have English menus for me. Drinks can be fairly expensive, but Japanese beer is delicious and I havn%26#39;t seen things like Suntory in other countries. Kirin all the way, in my humble opinion. You can find some good deals, I remember Gas Panic in Roppongi was doing 400Y drinks on Thursday, less than $4 at the time. Clubs are a fun experience, mix it up and visit the expat haunts as well as the more serious dance music clubs, I had a great time and varying amounts of female attention haha. On the downside, a lot of places are expensive, the atmosphere may not be as lively as you expected and depending on how far you are from your hotel, getting back can be a pain. Taxis tend to get quite expensive, my method was simply to stay out until the subway starts running again.



Areas: Roppongi (semi-sleazy, avoid the dark suited men ), Shibuya (Clubs), Aoyama (Bars), Ginza (Expensive bars). Look out for a German beer hall in Ginza, it is truly brilliant but they only serve 1.5l glasses, not the real hardcore Steiners.







Hong Kong. As a previous poster mentioned, there really is nothing like the Hong Kong Island skyline at night, it was truly magical. However, you%26#39;re not going to be drinking there. I got to Hong Kong late on a Friday after coming direct from LA, decided to head out to Lan Kwai Fong to see what all the fuss was about and I was truly impressed. There was such a large amount of people out, drinking outdoors having a great time. You really get a good sense of the city here, high energy, fun loving and generally very friendly and open. I met some truly warm bartenders who sat and spoke to me and joined for a drink, something I appreciated as a solo traveller. Lots of good pints, real European beers at about US$8 a pint or more. There will be drink offers at certain bars so look out.



On the flipside, I would avoid Wan Chai, its very seedy and at times resembled Bangkok on a bad night. You will meet a lot of people from all over the world, and English proficiency is very good so you don%26#39;t really get that sense of %26#39;Asian immersion%26#39; if that%26#39;s a big deal for you.



Areas: Lan Kwai Fong is great, some good bars all around really. Ask the locals which clubs are hot at the moment, it changes frequently.





Hope that all helps, have a great trip




Hong Kong of course.





What do you expect from Japanese?






Went clubbing in Shibuya last year 40 bucks to get in. It was worth it though, i still had fun and drinks were not that bad. English was slim but ok. There were a foreigners and the crowd was very cool and going off. This was at club womb( u tube video are cool) check out there web site. I know there are cheaper places but did not want to hang out with the hip-hop crowd or yakuza crowd. I guess if you want safe,clean,and cool Tokyo is the spot. If you want the best food and culture Tokyo. If you want to straight up party like a Rock Star!!!! HK must be better and less rules.. have not been there but my friend told me stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment