Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Narita Airport - Passport Control Question

I was wondering if you had to go through passport control in order to use the day rooms? I see a map of the airport but can not tell if you can access it without going through security. What about the shops %26amp; restaurants?





The reason I am asking this is, I have a long layover at NRT but am switching airlines and wont yet have a boarding pass for my flight back. My flight arrives at 6am %26amp; I don%26#39;t depart until 4:45pm. I don%26#39;t know if I can check in that early for my flight or even if the airline employees will be there yet.





Thanks!!!



Narita Airport - Passport Control Question


I am quite sure you have to go through passport control to use the arrivals day room. If you want to use the departure day rooms, you have to get back to the departure side with your second boarding pass.





With that much time, you might as well take the train into Tokyo, walk around, get some fresh air and enjoy a meal for a few hours. If you want to go a little closer, go to Narita city which is no more than 10 minutes from the airport.





Even if you don%26#39;t want to go into Tokyo, you should clear immigration and customs anyway because Narita Airport has more to offer in terms of shopping and dining outside. It sounds like you are not on a through-ticket or flying two airlines within the same alliance so you can%26#39;t check-through? If that%26#39;s the case and you don%26#39;t want to drag your bags around, you can store your luggage at the airport as well for convenience if check-in is not open that early.



Narita Airport - Passport Control Question


I don%26#39;t know how early you can check in for your flight.





So far as I can tell, the only day rooms are on the daparture side, after passport control. There are a couple of ';pay lounges'; outside passport control. I know nothing about them at all: narita-airport.jp/en/鈥vc_62.html





I also recommend the many stores and shops in the airport. They are mostly after check-in but before passport control. So far as I can tell from the map, you don%26#39;t need to check in to get to them, but I never tried. narita-airport.jp/en/鈥ndex_t1.html



narita-airport.jp/en/鈥ndex_t2.html







The airport has a guide for transit passengers here: narita-airport.jp/en/鈥ndex.html





If you don%26#39;t want to go all the way into Tokyo, Narita city has a nice old temple and shops. It%26#39;s a ten minute train ride from the airport. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6401.html




I recommend you that go to Narita city. In that case you don%26#39;t have to check in at transit area. You just get stamped and then go to Narita station area. Visit some places (recommend Narita San, Shinshoji temple) and have some Japanese food. Then back to the airport, check-in and pass passport control.



(Be sure that there are two terminals, so you make sure which building you got to go to check in)





Here is the site of Narita city..





www.city.narita.chiba.jp/english/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment