Saturday, April 21, 2012

Help needed in planning Itinerary in Kyushu

Hi,





I need a bit of help with planning a 8 day trip in Kyushu.





I%26#39;ll be travelling to Fukuoka on the night of 6 March and arriving at 6am in the morning.





I would like to try and fit everything in but I know that it is not possible.





Can someone help me in deciding what to include and exclude in my trip?





Thank you



Help needed in planning Itinerary in Kyushu


I think you better give us a hint of what you like to do. I presume you are using a JR or Kyushu pass. If that%26#39;s the case, make sure you visit Kagoshima, Sakurajima (volcano and island). You should visit Nagasaki, and while it%26#39;s not everyones cup of tea, Beppu. Recommend you take the Yufuin No Mori train for the scenery.



Help needed in planning Itinerary in Kyushu


Hi MapleG,





Thank you for replying to my thread.





I would like to include Mt Aso and Yakushima Island in my itinerary if possible. I know with only 8 days I am pushing it.





My hobby is photography and I like taking photos of natural landscapes/scenery. But I am not too keen on visiting temples and castles unless they are radically different to the ones in Kyoto, Tokyo and Osaka.





Someone has recommended visiting Yanagawa and taking a cruise through the canals which sounds interesting. Is it worthwhile doing this?




Triode12-Wish I could tell you about the canals, etc, but I have not been there myself (sounds like a spot to check out next time I go, which should be in July). I%26#39;m planning to spend some more time in Kyushu then. Know exactly what you are saying about the castles though!! I want to spend some more time in the Kagoshima area as well.it looked interesting the last time I was there but as always I did not have enought time to do it justice.




Here is the Yanagawa canal boat(Donko) cruise. We have done a couple of times. Very relaxing.



jnto.go.jp/eng/…yanagawa.html



You can do an easy day trip from Fukuoka on Nishitetsu line.



Yanagawa is also well known for grilled eels.



The above web site gives other common tourist places in Kyushu that are photo-worthy. Others are Yamanani HW from Yufuin to Aso, Amakusa Islands(accessible by bridge connections from Nagasaki), Ariake Bay by ferry ride between Shimabara %26amp; Kumamoto, Suizenji park in Kumamoto. You may want to drive around Kyushu, though. If not, frequently run bus network is great. JR is fine with fast shinkansen, LEX and slow but enjoyable local trains.



If you want a beautiful off beaten path, try Takachiho gorges. There nightly dance is performed that is said to have given birth to Japan.



http://www.jref.com/practical/takachiho.shtml



Miyazaki/Aoshima gives the beautiful coast line.



Check here for more tourist info. and event schedules.



http://www.welcomekyushu.com/index.html




If you want to go Yaku island, Kagoshima is the entry point. The island can be accessed either by air or by ferry.



jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/pdf/pg-708.pdf



yakushima-guide.com/e-kyoukai/e-index.html



Plan 3-4 days for Kagoshima area including an overnight trip to Yaku island.





Kagoshima is about 3 hrs by trains/4hrs by highway buses from Fukuoka.




Hi, Triode 12,



We went to Yakushima last year. Great hiking!



If you%26#39;re going to Shiratani Unsui-kyo, it would be better to hire a tour guide to show you around as the paths are not well marked. The history of the island, as well as knowing what to look for in the trees make a guided tour well worth it. The forest from Princess Mononoke%26#39;s animation is also there. Very mysterious!



Yakusugi Land sounds like a ';ho-hum theme park with rides,'; but it%26#39;s not! It has well-marked trails -- be sure to follow the one of the ';long route.';



If you like to climb to the top of things, go to Mt. Miyanoura.



Yakushima is known as the wettest part of Japan, so be sure to bring good hiking boots and rainwear. And keep that camera well covered!



There are flights from Kagoshima, which are MUCH quicker than the ferry.



You%26#39;ll need a day for each of the hikes.



Cheers,



mamagelli




JLady Tokyo,





I was wondering if you could let us know if there are any signs of spring spotted already in Kagoshima. Are umes(oomehs) starting to blossom down there? Sorry to get personal, but how long is it since you moved out to Kagoshima? Yes, we have been missing your warmhearted comment quite some time...




On a practical note - if you want to go to yakushima - the travel info on www.yakumonkey.com is now up-to date. But it will be rather tight to fit in an 8 day trip especially if you wish to see other places in Kyushu. You%26#39;d need to allow yourself as many days as possible there to get good photos due to the ever changing weather.




Thanks to all that replied to my thread.





I%26#39;m off this weekend for Tokyo and then onto Kyushu.

No comments:

Post a Comment