Tuesday, April 24, 2012

CHALLENGE! 10 day trip for two 20 year olds!!

Hi Guys! Let me just say what a fantastic community tripadvisor is, I have learned a lot going through the various threads on this board.





I have a big Spring break trip coming up, April 9th through 20th, but I%26#39;ve been having a hell of a time coming up with a basic itinerary.





We%26#39;re two 20 year olds, we like big cities, lots of shopping, places with alot of character with loads to do and see (not a terribly helpful description), really picture-esque places I guess. We%26#39;re not much for museum days, but would certainly like to go to a few really good ones. Money isn%26#39;t that big of an issue, this will not be a backpacking or hostile trip.





What I have so far is:



4/10- Arrive (Narita)



4/11- Tokyo



4/12- Tokyo



4/13- Tokyo



4/14- Tokyo-Kyoto



4/15- Kyoto



4/16- Kyoto-Nara-Kyoto



4/17- Kyoto-Tokyo



4/18- Tokyo



4/19- Tokyo



4/20- Home (Narita to LAX)





As you can see we have a lot of days scheduled for Tokyo. I want to keep it all as simple as possible, while seeing as much as possible. I%26#39;ve heard a lot of people discuss places like Hakone, Nikko, Hiroshima. I don%26#39;t mind adding a short stop off at another location, or removing Nara. The only place outside Tokyo we definitely want to go to is Kyoto. We%26#39;re planning to stay at the Park Hyatt in Tokyo.





I have also been looking at this itinerary: www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400_tokyo_8.html





I%26#39;ve been checking out all the recommended travel sites and I am more confused than ever. We%26#39;re not the most sophisticated off the beaten path travelers, but we%26#39;re looking for a fun, adventurous, and above all Japanese time!!





Any help would be greatly appreciated.





Thanks!



Kevin





CHALLENGE! 10 day trip for two 20 year olds!!


I sure hope it%26#39;s not a ';hostile'; trip! haha





Is there a particular reason why you have devoted the majority of your time to Tokyo? If not, I do think you should venture out and see some other wonderful places in Japan. For example, you%26#39;re going all the way from Tokyo to the Kansai region where Kyoto is located, but you%26#39;re failing to see such a thriving and interesting place as Osaka, a mere 40min or so train ride from Kyoto?!



CHALLENGE! 10 day trip for two 20 year olds!!


HAHA I guess I ment hostil! Is that right lol? Do you think it would be worth it? There%26#39;s no particular reason we want to stay in Tokyo for so long, but we%26#39;ve kind of randomly decided that%26#39;s where we want to spend the biggest chunk of time since we love big cities so much. LOL this entire trip was inspired by the film Lost in Translation. :)




Yes, you got to visit Osaka. Different food and culture over there..




How long should I stay, the night or just a stop off on the way to Kyoto? HAHA someone plan my itinerary....




Kevin,



%26gt;%26gt;%26gt; We%26#39;re not much for museum days, but would certainly like to go to a few really good ones. %26lt;%26lt;%26lt;



If I recommend just one museum in Tokyo, I’d choose the Edo-Tokyo Museum in Ryogoku. Even my (American) husband who usually doesn’t go to museum liked this one. Please see



www.edo-tokyo-museum.or.jp/english/index.html







%26gt;%26gt;%26gt; As you can see we have a lot of days scheduled for Tokyo. I want to keep it all as simple as possible, while seeing as much as possible. I%26#39;ve heard a lot of people discuss places like Hakone, Nikko, Hiroshima. I don%26#39;t mind adding a short stop off at another location, or removing Nara. The only place outside Tokyo we definitely want to go to is Kyoto. %26lt;%26lt;%26lt;



Don’t skip Nara! It’s a great place to visit from Kyoto for a day.



I was just wondering whether you can add one more night in Kyoto, and take a day (or half a day) trip to Himeji. As you may know, many people (including me) think Himeji Castle is the best castle in Japan, and is worth visiting it. Traveling between Kyoto and Himeji takes less than an hour by Hikari/Nozomi Shinkansen. Please see



http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3501.html




Good call on Himeji, I definitely would not want to miss that!! Ok so Here is what I got so far on the itinerary:





4/10- Arrive (Narita)



4/11- Tokyo



4/12- Tokyo



4/13- Tokyo



4/14- Tokyo-Kyoto



4/15- Kyoto



4/16- Kyoto-Nara-Kyoto



4/17- Kyoto-Himeji-Tokyo



4/18- Tokyo



4/19- Tokyo



4/20- Home (Narita to LAX)





Or should Himeji be given it%26#39;s own day? I was thinking spend the day at the castle, then take the train back to Tokyo that night.





Nara stays in.





What about Nikko, Hakone, and Hiroshima,any thoughts on those for us (or others not mentioned)? I think another location can easily be added.





Im a bit wary about putting in Osaka, cause I know it%26#39;s a big city, which were getting from Tokyo. I don%26#39;t think we could stop over for more than a half day and I%26#39;m just not sure it%26#39;s worth it for only that, like I fear we%26#39;ll spend most of the time navigating the place.





Thanks!



Kevin




I am also reading a lot about the hot spring ryokan%26#39;s, in like Japanese inns. Is there a really good one that perhaps could be easily fit in? A non naked one, lol, also it would have to be private or mixed as I understand it since my traveling buddy and I are not of the same gender, lol. Is this something worth doing? or a waste of time with such little time? I was just thinking a spa place might be really fun for the both of us.




Please don%26#39;t come all the way over to this country and restrict yourself to a limited view of Japan just because you saw ';Lost in Translation';.... I guess this is your reason for staying in Park Hyatt too, right?





No, try again, it%26#39;s not ';hostil';.... it%26#39;s a ';hostel'; ;)





I can%26#39;t advise on Hakone, but I really do think you%26#39;d miss out a lot if you didn%26#39;t see Osaka and Hiroshima. Yes, Osaka is a big city like Tokyo but that%26#39;s where the similarity stops, I feel. Are all big cities in your country the same? Are the east and west coasts the same in terms of atmosphere? I%26#39;d say not. The same can be said for Osaka and Tokyo, two very different places with their own atmospheres.





As for Hiroshima, it%26#39;s a beautiful and easily-navigable city that has more to offer the tourist than just the atomic bomb museum (which is a must if you go). Try Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki (yuuuum!), take a day trip to the beautiful island of Miyajima and see the real floating gate that adorns picture-postcard images of Japan.





For onsen, if your companion%26#39;s of the opposite sex, look for an onsen with ';kazokuburo';, which are private baths.




Thanks bimdonisia! Really good advice! No I%26#39;m not just coming because of the film, it just inspired us to take the trip.





I have again revised the schedule to include Osaka. What do you guys think? I%26#39;m just not sure I can fit in Hiroshima, although it sounds amazing. It seems like it%26#39;ll have to be one or the other (the other being Osaka).





4/10- Arrive (Narita)





4/11- Tokyo





4/12- Tokyo





4/13- Tokyo-Kyoto





4/14- Kyoto





4/15- Kyoto-Nara-Kyoto





4/16- Kyoto-Himeji-Osaka





4/17- Osaka





4/18- Osaka-Tokyo





4/19- Tokyo





4/20- Home (Narita to LAX)





I have also just read about Kamakura, would it be worth us considering? Also is a day trip to Mt. Fuji worth exploring at all? Or save for another trip?





Thanks!



Kevin




Also, what about Kyushu? Ahhhh too many amazing places!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment