Thursday, March 29, 2012

How long on a train

As I posted in a message a couple days ago I%26#39;m going to Tokyo for my first time in a couple of weeks. I%26#39;m trying to get my itinerary squared away and was curious about some distances. I%26#39;m seen some conflicting information on this and just want to get answers from people who really know.

How long does it take on a train from:

Narita Airport airport to Shinjuku

Shinagawa to Shinjuku

Shinjuku to the station for the Tokyo Dome

Tokyo to Kyoto

Thanks for the help!!

How long on a train

NRT to Shinjuku: 1 hour 25 minutes on the NEX.

Shinagawa to Shinjuku: 18 minutes on the Yamanote Line.

Shinjuku to Suidobashi (Tokyo Dome): 13 minutes on JR Chuo Line.

Tokyo to Kyoto: 2 hours 20 minutes on Nozomi or 2 hours 45 minutes on Hikari (in case you%26#39;re using the JR Pass.)

How long on a train

Just what I needed!!

Thank you


You can check on http://www.hyperdia.com as well, which has time tables as well as fares.

If you have a JR Pass, be sure to select the ';except NOZOMI'; box.

The results page will give you various options. Pick the one that requires the shortest time and the least number of transfers. Know that JR is not the only choice as a nearby subway station (or vice versa) might give you a more direct route.


Chuo Line (Rapid/Orange) doesn%26#39;t stop at Suidobashi for Tokyo Dome.

However, the Chuo-Sobu Line (Local|Yellow) ones do.


To clarify further, the Chuo (Orange) Line and the Sobu (Yellow) Line trains run parallel to each other between Shinjuku and Ochanomizu. See the colored diagram here: 鈥ikipedia.org/wiki/鈥?Dbu_Line

On this diagram Shinjuku and Suidobashi are between Mitaka and Ochanomizu respectively. The Chuo (Orange) trains do not stop at every station, even though the tracks are adjacent to the Chuo-Sobu (Yellow) trains which do.


Oops, I left out the crucial words ';local service.'; Thank you for clarifying.

When I lived in Tokyo ions ago, everybody called yellow local trains ';Chuo-sen kakutei'; (Chuo Line local service) so I have a habit of calling them just ';Chou Line.';

You%26#39;ll still see ';Chuo Line local service'; is used instead of ';Chuo-Sobu Line'; on some LCDs. If you%26#39;re fluent in Japanese, you%26#39;ll sometimes hear ';Chuo-sen Kakuekiteisha'; rather than Chuo-Sobu sen'; in announcements, too.

In any case, when you go to Suidobashi from Shinjuku, take a yellow train--Chuo-Sobu Line.


I think many Tokyo-centric people call it the Chuo Local Line because they see it starting in Mitaka and paralleling the orange trains from west of Shinjuku and don%26#39;t venture east much past Akihabara unless they live east of Akihabara. So their reference frame is mostly where the orange trains run, but they know they have to change at Ochanomizu in order to make the right turn at Kanda Manseibashi into Tokyo Station.

I think it took me a few years of observing this (way before the Internet) before I finally figured out how the Chuo and Sobu main and local lines interconnected with the Yokosuka line outbound from Tokyo Station and Chiba. The Sobu Local east of Kinshicho is yellow, the Sobu Main east of Kinshicho is the silver with blue/yellow striped long distance Yokosuka sets.

So let%26#39;s say you were at Mitaka bound for Kameido. You would probably use an orange Chuo Rapid to Ochanomizu, step off there and walk across the platform to the yellow Chuo Sobu local train which would continue across Akihabara to Kameido.

Way too much information. Sorry.


Actually its quite opposite for me, everyone I know who rides the Chuo Sobu Line, calls it the Sobu Line (they live in Tokyo, not Chiba), and I always make reference that technically its the ';Chuo-Sobu Line'; from Mitaka-Ochanamizu. Yeah I know we have gone overtopic, sorry, just wanted to plug in my observation on that matter.


In my mind, being a train otaku mind you, I think Chuo-sen=Orange, Sobu-sen=Yellow and I don%26#39;t even make the connection with the Yokosuka Line until I think about it.

  • skin
  • channel
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment