Thursday, March 29, 2012

Shorts for Men-Summer

I will be spending 3 weeks in Japan in July. It%26#39;s my 3rd trip so I do know my way around sufficiently and I will be there with 14 year old son.





A number of postings indicate from the past stated that shorts are really not acceptable for adult males in Japan (and I am 50!). My other trips were in winter and spring.





I don%26#39;t want to stand out more than I already will --so can anyone confirm, I assume shorts and sandals are fine for my teenage son, but not for me?





(PS-we won%26#39;t be hitting fancy restaurants and such)



Shorts for Men-Summer


A lot of college-aged students and kids wear those below-the-knee cargo pants, very big these past few years. Young ladies wear sexy short-shorts but the rest of the population wears long pants. Both you and your son wear your shorts, rest assured you will not feel out of place. Just refrain from the black socks and sandals look, please! :-)



Shorts for Men-Summer


I dunno, Pops......what do your legs look like? :-)))))



The air-conditioning on the trains and in some of the stores are on ridiculously high and it%26#39;s freezing! My husband and I made the mistake once of wearing shorts on a flight from Hawaii to Narita. Talk about getting cold feet! lol



Do invest in a pair of walking sandals. It%26#39;ll be much better than the ';black socks dorkiness'; that Neko-san mentioned and you%26#39;ll be fashionably presentable! You%26#39;ll be cool in more ways than one on a muggy day.



My 50+ husband highly recommends those zip-up wash-n-wear long pants/shorts combo. Then you can go to those semi-fancy restaurants!



Cheers,



mama




Oh don%26#39;t worry--I would never go for the shorts and black socks look--for some reason here in Canada there are a few guys (usually in their late 60s or 70s%26#39;) who seem to be under the illusion that wearing shorts, black socks and dress shoes is proper attire!!





Shorts=sandals...definitely....




You should see the mainland Chinese (not Hong Kong) look. They wear white athletic socks just above the ankle with dress pants and dress shoes!





Anyway, while most Japanese won%26#39;t wear shorts in the summer, nobody is going to really care you do. As a gaijin, you already look out of place...LOL!


  • skin
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment