Monday, April 16, 2012

Traveling to Japan in March, what clothes to bring?

Hello!

I%26#39;m going to Japan for the first time this March. I%26#39;m from Montreal, Canada where it%26#39;s still cold and snowy that time of year so I%26#39;m not too sure how I should pack for Japan. I know it%26#39;s nowhere near as cold as Montreal but what clothes should I pack? Is it warm enough to go out with in a sweater or will I need to bring a jacket? I don鈥檛 want to over pack my suitcase with clothes I won鈥檛 wear.

Also, are amusement parks open that time of year in Tokyo? Any information would be helpful, thanks a bunch!

Dee

Traveling to Japan in March, what clothes to bring?

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2273.html

Disneyland/DisneySea

http://sega.jp/joypolis/tokyo/home_e.shtml

www.tokyoessentials.com/amusement-parks.html

Traveling to Japan in March, what clothes to bring?

Thanks :)


I am from Toronto and visited Tokyo last March (the last week of March). My take on it is the last week of March in Tokyo is like early May to someone in Toronto or Montreal. Highs in the 10 to 15 range, lows never down to zero. Some rain. I%26#39;m assuming of course you are staying in the Tokyo area as opposed to heading into the mountains or similar.


Forgot one other detail...I was in Tokyo a few weeks ago and actually saw daffodils blooming on some railway embankments. Now you KNOW you are not in Montreal or Toronto when you see daffodils in January!!!


If you want to take a day trip, there is an awesome amusement park at the base of Mt. Fuji called Fujikyu Highland park. Its worth the trip, it has the highest coaster in Asia, the fastest coaster in the world, and now the Guiness Book of Records honor of a coaster with the most amount of twists and turns for its size (I believe). I went in March, and its a bit chilly, but you can see Mt. Fuji really well. You can also just take a bus that leaves from Shinjuku, and pay about $100 for the bus ride to and from and entrance into the park.


daffodils in January?! That%26#39;s awesome, thank you so much for the info MapleG. I%26#39;m going to be in Tokyo for the last 2 weeks of March I can%26#39;t wait. :)


fastest coaster in the world...?! WOW I%26#39;m so there. I love crazy rides. How long would the ride be from Tokyo to the Amusement park? Do you know if it%26#39;s busy during that season? You just got me a million times more excited to go. Thanks so much for the info Shinjuku Gal!


Grrr, I just looked on Fujukyu Highland Park%26#39;s website and it looks like they don%26#39;t open until April this year (;~;) If it helps, they open on April 1st...so if you%26#39;re still there...


pineapple,

The last time I was in Tokyo in late March was the coldest I have been in the last twenty years. I had to meet someone outside Shinjuku station one evening and, dressed for spring, I thought there was a good chance I was going to die, as there was a strong wind and the temp was around 34F. It could also be 70F if you were lucky but my advice is to prepare for almost anything, including torrential rain.

Have fun,

Bob


Pineapple,

It will be more like a Montreal Spring. I%26#39;ve was in Takayama (the mountains) two years ago in a light snow fall and even that was warm. It only added to the beauty. So, the lower elevations, like Tokyo will be fine and even warmer as you go South (towards Kyoto). I would wear a light jacket en route and pack a sweater.

Take a pair of light hiking shoes if you plan on gardens and shrines. Some areas get muddy after a rainfall, forget the raincoat, buy an umbrella.

Macsubi

  • designs on your real nails
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment