Saturday, April 21, 2012

Female single backpacker, questions on Kanto area

Dear all helpful contributors.





Firstly I want to thank all for making comments on my post 2 years ago for my trip to Kyoto. It helped me a lot.. and now I鈥檓 back again in Tokyo (for academic conference) and since no friends want to do the trip with me. I鈥檓 travelling on my own and decide to make good use of this holiday.





I need some advice, mainly I鈥檓 travelling on my own, and the Japanese website start to give me headache on what to choose. I鈥檓 travelling end of June, and wanted to get things sorted a little in advance.





1) Youth hostel in Tokyo



Last time I stayed in Juyoh Hostel (http://www.juyoh.co.jp/) in Minami-Senju. I found the area not very safe(only a feeling) because I saw an old man pee on the street on my way back to hotel one night. But the price is cheap (really can鈥檛 beat that price with single room and unlimited wifi internet, plus they have free shower on the female floor with plenty of shampoos and body wash) I want to know if anyone stayed in Tokyo Hostel (http://www.tokyohostels.com) before. I know it is only one station away from Minami Senju and I wonder if it is safer compare to the area of Juyoh? It is 300yen more expensive, but if it is better I would pay 300 yen more(i.e. the sight of homeless and old man on the street are not that pleasant in Minami-Senju)



I鈥檝e checked Yoyogi Youth hostel (www.hihostels.com/dba/hostel032002.en.htm) but they said they鈥檙e fully booked for a group in my check-in date.





2) Trip to Hakone, Mt Fuji and Nikko



After reading many Hato Bus tour (http://www.hatobus.co.jp/) and being single traveller cannot take advantage of the J-yado deals (http://www.j-yado.com/) I鈥檝e decided to take the Hakone Mt Fuji Free pass (odakyu.jp/english/freepass/fujihakone.html), and stayed overnight perhaps either in Hakone or kawaguchiko.



My plan is to go to Kawaguchiko 1st day, take photos of Mt Fuji and head to Hakone and sight see (want to do those cable rides), then stay in Hakone. 2nd day go to Hakone Kowakien Yunessan (http://www.yunessun.com/english/) to enjoy some kind of hot spring experience and head to Nikko (via Tokyo) and stay at the Nikko Youth Hostel (http://www.nikko-suginamiki.com/y_ryokin.html), then sight see Nikko the 3rd day and back to Tokyo and start my Tokyo tour. Do people think this is sensible?





Nikko, should I get the World Heritage pass or All Nikko pass? I can%26#39;t see much different except one is for 2 days and the other is for 4 days.





I can鈥檛 actually figure how to get from Gotemba down to Lake Ashi (via cable car) can anyone help?





3) reservation at Butler Caf茅



has anyone been? I went to maid鈥檚 caf茅 last time and decide to go to Butler鈥檚 caf茅. I heard this one is really famous (butlers-cafe.jp/modules/contents/index.php鈥?/a>)





Does anyone know how to make appointment? I can only find their appointment system but not making advance appointments. Do I need to email them individually?





I speak a bit of Japanese kind of up to JLPT Level 2, so even the place is not specifically for foreigner I think I can manage. I just can鈥檛 really read Keigo鈥?/p>






Thank you!!



Eve



Female single backpacker, questions on Kanto area


I%26#39;m not sure about that area of Tokyo but public urination unfortunately isn%26#39;t that uncommon, in my experience! just this morning on my way to work i was shocked by an old man walking his dog, urinating in full view of passers-by, including school children on their way to school. normally it%26#39;s the dog that pees in the street, not the owner....



Female single backpacker, questions on Kanto area


http://butlers-cafe.jp/reserve/index.php



Pick a time slot with the appropriate table size, and put in your email address. They accept reservation 1 day(only) in advance.




and yes, you can see drunken men peeing by the road even at Shinjuku west exit, every evening.




how sensible it is to go to Hakone to Nikko? Am i slightly crazy? (the reason why is I found a slightly nicer and cheaper hostel in Nikko and it seems more sensible to spend the night there, do a bit of sight see before returning to Tokyo)




I don%26#39;t recommend staying at Minami-senju area even it is cheap to anybody who is travelling and want to save money in Tokyo. Because this area is a place for day-labors (casual worker??)from long long time ago (think after WWII). We even Japanese hegitate to live around there. Now many new apartments are built up along side of Sumida river and they try to image up or re-build their image of this town. but many people who live in Tokyo long years know that.



never stayed any hostel in Tokyo but Minowa area is much safer and has almost same atmospher as Asakusa area (they are close, indeed).




Use All Nikko Pass if you intend to take the bus up to Lake Chuzenji. If not, you can stick to the cheaper World Heritage Pass.





Having said that, if you will be traveling mainly within the Kanto area, you may want to investigate the value of a JR East Pass or even a JR Pass. Your final itinerary determines whether you can save more money at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment