Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Medications

I have a medication question for you.





On the State Dept information it states ';Up to a two-month supply of allowable over-the-counter medication and up to a four-month supply of allowable vitamins can be brought into Japan duty-free. However, it is illegal to bring into Japan some over-the-counter medicines commonly used in the United States, including inhalers and some allergy and sinus medications. Specifically, products that contain stimulants (medicines that contain pseudoephedrine such as Actifed, Sudafed, and Vicks inhalers) or codeine are prohibited. Generally, up to one month%26#39;s supply of allowable prescription medicine can be brought into Japan. Travelers must bring a copy of their doctor%26#39;s prescription as well as a letter stating the purpose of the drug.';





So if I am reading this right, I need to bring a copy of my prescription and a letter from my doctor for my asthma inhalers as well as my migraine medication? Ok, that is really inconvenient!





Does every foreign traveler who takes prescription meds do this!!?? I have never done this when I travel!





Thanks for any clarity you can provide.





Medications


I%26#39;ve never brought a copy of my prescriptions along. Just keep the medication in the original containers. Neither my wife or I have ever had a problem at immigration.



Medications


I suppose the State Dept%26#39;s info is the letter of the law. But I have never heard or seen that being applied at any border crossing in Japan. I personally have never carried a copy of the doctor%26#39;s prescription and never had a problem. You should be ok.




It has never happened to someone else or yourself before doesn%26#39;t mean it won%26#39;t happen to you this time. Of course it%26#39;s your personal decision. It%26#39;s not likely that you will be asked, and few people carry the letter and prescription, but you might be lucky this time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment