Friday, April 13, 2012

Fashion question for women

In Tokyo, when a 40 year old woman goes out in 50 degree weather and wears a dress or skirt, what does she wear on her feet?

Silly question maybe, but in Vienna, Austria in the winter, I wore pumps and nearly every female I saw with a skirt had on tall black boots and I was obviously a stand out. I do not want to make that mistake again.

Thanks!

Fashion question for women

I think you asked that question in another thread? Just wear whatever you want. If you want to look more like them, just wear boots. Note that sightseeing in Tokyo involves lots of walking so first and foremost, you should wear comfortable shoes.

As a Western tourist, you%26#39;d stand out anyway.

Fashion question for women

I%26#39;ll try to dig up the thread I started about this. Suzi, we are also getting to Japan March 20 - 30 and I was wondering what to wear as well... especially since even though I%26#39;m reading the weather reports, I don%26#39;t know... what if it%26#39;s super cold, or rainy, or even warm?

I%26#39;m going with three options and that%26#39;s it: waterproof suede knee high boots (flats with great tread to walk around in case it%26#39;s wet or snowy? They%26#39;re ';Bastien'; brand from Canada and are stylish but practical). I%26#39;m also bringing a pair of classic black pumps that are comfortable... and a pair of converse chuck taylors.

Our groups of (American girls) were pointed-and-laughed-at in Athens Greece in MAY for wearing flip flops. Apparently it truly wasn%26#39;t ';Summer'; yet in Greece even though it was 80 degrees. So I know what you mean about wanting to at least make an effort!


Yes, Sammy, I did ask it in another thread, but you were the only one who answered that part! LOL I figured I put too much into one post and it got lost, so I posted a separate question. As a guy it may not seem like a big deal to you. And yes, I realize as a blond haired, blue eyed American, I am going to stick out regardless of what I wear. But I want to at least make some effort to blend as much as I can.

MG: I wore sandals in May in Athens and got along fine. I was not out of place at all. Actually, my trip to Vienna was the only time I have traveled and felt I was obviously dressed different. I hated it, so I am doing everything I can not to have that happen in Japan. Problem is, I do not own high boots! Maybe a shopping trip is in order! LOL

Thanks for the help!


You want wear ANYTHING.

If it%26#39;s 50 degrees (Celsius), wear sandals. Flip-flops ok. If you wear stockings, you%26#39;ll get worms growing out of them at the end of the day!

If you%26#39;re talking about a COLD cold 50 (Fahrenheit) then wear something warmer - shoes, snow boots, hiking boots, rain boots, leather boots, fashionable boots, sneakers, heels, flats, WHATEVER is comfortable. Tokyo is a walking city. If you can hike in heels (which many seem to be able to do), then dozo!

You will NOT stand out by what you wear on your feet. Or your clothes, for that matter.

Cheers!


Ok, this really depends upon what they show on TV and what the fusion models wear on magazines.

Japanese in general has no brain to think what they like and what is good, so they have this tendency to go with whatever others doing.

If they start showing actresses wearing short pants and torn dirty T-shirts and the stupid so called fashion critics say this is the trend of this season, all women star wearing same styles. That is the way it works here. Now you know the reason why the fashion industry can ,ake good money here. It%26#39;s Sooo easy to manipulate the market.


You%26#39;all are so great, thank you! Problem solved, I bought some boots. Temps are looking to be low 50s (F) while we are there. I need to wear dressy clothes 3 evenings but walking long distances in my pumps would not be fun. So the boots will be perfect, and warmer than pumps. One evening we are taking a dinner cruise, so I imagine the temps being out on the water will be chilly as well.

Thanks again!


Most people here are too young to remember this but around the 1979-1980 time frame when the Sony Walkman was introduced in Japan (it was a tape cassette player with portable headphones, a novel concept at the time), Sony secretly sent young people out to Akihabara and other busy areas of Tokyo to walk around wearing the headphones and listening to music. It was carefully orchestrated and got quite a bit of press at the time. Morita-san knew it would be difficult to get Japanese people to walk around with these so he started the trend himself. Eventually it caught on and exploded in the marketplace. The Walkman was Morita-san%26#39;s proudest achievement, all made possible because his marketing department%26#39;s knowledge of and capitalizing on the Japanese psyche.

%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;Japanese in general has no brain to think what they like and what is good, so they have this tendency to go with whatever others doing.%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;


Ok, 246, you are making me feel old! Haha! I LOVED my Walkman and I felt so hip to have one!


%26lt;Ok, 246, you are making me feel old! Haha! I LOVED my Walkman and I felt so hip to have one!%26gt;

Hey, Suzibell,

I still have mine! Haven%26#39;t used it FOREVER, but it%26#39;s around here somewhere.

Did you wear beads, flowers and bellbottoms, too? :-)


The Walkman episode was good marketing on Sony%26#39;s part. Around Christmas time when I was in Osaka, there was accusations about McDonald%26#39;s hiring people to line up to buy one of their new items on the menu.

  • dog
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment