Monday, April 16, 2012

Tokyo itinerary for 3ish days

Planning most of my trip to Japan for 15 days was pretty easy, until I came up against the two major cities, Kyoto and Tokyo. There is way too much to see! Here is what I have so far for my days in Tokyo:





Day 1:



Return to Tokyo around 4:00 from day trip



Zojo-ji



Tokyo Tower



Tokyo City View



Spend the evening in Roppongi (Roppongi Hills, Roppongi Crossing)





Day 2:



Edo-Tokyo Museum



Sumo Museum



Imperial Palace East Gardens



Yasukuni-jinja (if time permits)



Akihabara



Kabuki-za (one act between 4-9 depending on how the morning goes)



Walk around Shinjuku at night if still early enough





Day 3:



Senso-ji (it%26#39;s right by my hostel)



Studio Ghibli



Harajuku (Meiji-jingu, Oriental Bazaar, Shopping)



Spend the evening in Shibuya





Day 4:



Tsukiji Fish Market



Back to hostel to pack up



Nakamise market



Ameyoko arcade



Tokyo National Museum (time dependant)



Take the train to Narita for 7:00 flight (figure to get there around 4:30)







Does it look doable? I%26#39;m hoping I did a good enough job pruning the list of places to go. I%26#39;m looking forward to museums and shopping after all the temples in Kyoto. Anything that I missed on my list that should be on there? Any suggestions of places to hit up in the evening areas? Any good jazz clubs I should check out?



Tokyo itinerary for 3ish days


Looks like you have too many things lined up and in erratic sequences:





Day 1: I%26#39;d give Zojoji a miss, it will be underwhelming after seeing temples in Kyoto. I%26#39;d also skip Tokyo Tower since you%26#39;re going to visit Tokyo City View. The view from Tokyo Tower is mediocre at best. Tokyo Tower looks nice from distance though. How about going to Akihabara instead? That will give you more time on your Day 2. From Akihabara, take subway Hibiya Line to Roppongi.





One thing to keep in mind is that the public transportation stops around midnight and the taxi fare from Roppongi to Asakusa will be over 4,000 yen at night (by my guesstimation.)





Day 2: After two museums, head to Imperial East Garden then to Ginza and see one act Kabuki. Spend the evening in Shinjuku. Subway Marunouchi Line is most convenient when you go to Shinjuku from Ginza.





Day 3 and 4 looks OK, but I%26#39;d do Sensoji and Nakamise at the same time.





Harajuku is best on Sundays. Make sure Tsukiji will be open on the day you plan on going:





tsukiji-market.or.jp/etc/calendar/2009.html





It%26#39;s closed on Red-dot days.



Tokyo itinerary for 3ish days


Thanks for the advice!





Not that it matters too much, but Day 1 and Day 2 technically aren%26#39;t in sequence. Day 1(evening) is in Tokyo, then I head out to Hiroshima/Osaka/Kyoto. My hotel during that time is Shinagawa, so I figured it wouldn%26#39;t be as bad re: transport in the evening.





And I guess the only reason I split up Sensoji and Nakamise is that Sensoji opens early in the morning and Studio Ghibli doesn%26#39;t open until 10. Although it might be nice to have one day to sleep in a bit :)





Anyone have any recs for bars/clubs/music venues to check out in the evening?





Phew, now the only thing left is to figure out Kyoto itinerary!




Don%26#39;t forget to buy your tickets in advance from your local home seller for Ghibli museum, it%26#39;s impossible to buy tickets on-site or even in Japan itself.




Actually, you can buy Ghibli tickets from any Lawson%26#39;s convenience store in Japan. The problem is that it%26#39;s all in Japanese but here is a link to english instructions: www.lawson.co.jp/loppi/ghibli/english.html





We bought tickets this way, although for some reason the instructions didn%26#39;t work for us so we just asked a store employee to help us. We just showed them where we wanted to go and they pushed the right buttons for us!





We were able to buy tickets the same day, but this was in early December. I%26#39;m not sure what availability is like at other times.




Wow good to know! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment