Friday, April 13, 2012

JR 3 day rail pass- is it worth it ?

Hi everyone, I will be extending my hokkaido tour for another 3 days in May around 7 to 10th May, which I wish to cover Otaru, Hakodate and Kamiyubetsu,



1) how much it will cost to travel by JR rail if I purchase the individual tickets ?



2) Is it worth purchasing the JR 3 day rail pass online cos%26#39; I realised it cost about 15,000 yen per person for ordinary class and 21,500 yen green car



3) Is there any difference btw the ordinary class and the green class ?



P.S I travelling with my parents who are over 65 yo.





JR 3 day rail pass- is it worth it ?


Go to www.hyperdia.com and choose the times/sectors you wish to travel (excluding Nozomi) and individual fares will be shown. You can easily work out whether a rail pass is cheaper than buying individual tickets.





The general TA consensus seems to be that it is not worth paying extra for Green Class, unless you are travelling at peak times (e.g. during Japanese public holidays).



JR 3 day rail pass- is it worth it ?


Thanks, it seems to be cheaper to purchase the 3 day rail pass if I plan to cover Kamiyubetsu but if I only intend to cover the central Hokkaido... then individual trip pass..




I think you should finalize your itinerary before you decide. Otherwise, you%26#39;ll end up spending unnecessary money.





Personally speaking, it is a waste to use the JR pass on Otaru, because going to Otaru is less than 700 yen (no reserved seating available on those trains). There is a welcome pass you can buy where you get 1 day unlimited rides on the Sapporo subway + the JR ticket to Otaru. You can even separate the 1 day subway ride from the day when you use the Otaru ticket.





But again, just finalize your itinerary first before determining whether you want to buy the pass or not.




Hi Zhenova,



Thanks , will plan my itinerary.. cos%26#39; 3 days JR rail pass quite expensive


  • skin
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment