Thursday, April 19, 2012

Advice regarding transportation to Narita airport

I am planning a trip to Tokyo and Kyoto in May. I would like to stay in Tokyo first, and then take Shinkasen (sp?) to Kyoto, and return to the airport from Kyoto. My flight to S. Korea is at 1525 May 20th. Is it possible to get from Kyoto to the airport on that day, or do I need to get back to Tokyo the night before to be sure to make my plane? I am a 65 year old female traveling alone, if that would make a difference.



Advice regarding transportation to Narita airport


Yes, it is possible to stay in Kyoto on your last night.





You could leave Kyoto at 9.16am and arrive at Narita at 12.56, in plenty of time to catch the flight at 15.25.





From Kyoto, you would take the shinkansen to Shinagawa station, then connect at Shinagawa station to the Narita Express. you can get details on the route, as well as all other Japan rail schedule info, at www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi





(From Kyoto, you could connect to the Narita Express at either Tokyo station or Shinagawa station. I would recommend Shinagawa, because it is much easier to change there.)



Advice regarding transportation to Narita airport


You should have no problem at all to depart Kyoto on the same day on the Shinkansen for 1525 departure from either of the Tokyo airports. You just need to plan on the departure time from Kyoto - Japanese trains run to the second, so its easy to plan for arrival at the airport in plenty of time to check in. You%26#39;ll need to change to the Narita Express at Tokyo, if you are going to Narita





You did not mention the airport. There are now many flights to Korea from Haneda, which is much more convenient than Narita.





Also, if you are in Kyoto, then Kansai International or Central Air at Nagoya are much more convenient than either Haneda or Narita. Central Air is fantastic, with direct airport access from the train platform. Many visitors are unaware of this new international airport.




Thank you so much. Also, since Japan is a stop-over from the US to South Korea, I will have some heavy, large luggage. I read in other posts not to take these on the train. Is there anywhere at the train station to leave some luggage, since I wouldn%26#39;t be returning to Shinjuku?




Narita Airport has luggage storage facilities if you need to use it:





narita-airport.jp/en/…svc_06.html





Arrive at Narita, take only the bags you need for your trip, leave the rest at storage, when you arrive back at Narita pick it up and head off to your flight to Korea.




Here is information about coin locker at JR stations.





japanrail.com/JR_atthestation_coinlocker.html




I agree that you should store your bags at Narita Airport and only pick them up when you get back there. You don%26#39;t need to find lockers.




luggage storage at the airport will cost you 10,000 yen per piece for 20 calendar days. Cheaper to forward your luggage, at least to your 1st hotel and then send it back to the airport, so you can have it ready when you fly out with no additional storage fee.




How and with whom do you arrange to forward luggage? How much does that cost? Thanks everyone.




Courier (takuhaibin) info:



http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html



Any decent hotel will arrange a baggage forwading service for you. You might collect your luggage at the designated counter at narita Airport after having your luggage sent from your hotel in Kyoto.





Train connections from Western japan (Kyoto) to narita Airport:



…blogspot.com/2008/09/train-connections-betw…



The schedules are subject to minor revision effective on 14th March. I will update the data as soon as possible.




I really don%26#39;t quite get it. If I have my large bag sent to the first hotel in Tokyo.......



1) how do I know if they will allow it



2) how much would it cost for 35 kg



3) what happens to it when I go to Kyoto



4) if I send it back from Tokyo to Narita, airport, where does it stay while I am in Kyoto, and at what cost?



Thanks, I am somewhat confused by the replies (advice) I received.

No comments:

Post a Comment